LGRU Porto feedback
Published June 24, 2013
Already one month has passed since the wonderful LGRU meeting in Porto. And summer arrived, finally, sort of.
I was planning a proper writeup, but of course this didn’t materialize – so instead of a long report, here is a raw list of things / links / topics / ideas / action items that may (or may not) be followed-up and evolve.
## Stuff done at the LGRU meeting Porto:
- Tons of notes were taken across various etherpad instances (links below).
- A hardware/software survey was conducted: <https://greyscalepress.com/2013/news/lgru-laptops/>
- Some photos were taken: <http://pix.4o4.ch/photos/album-2/list>
- Delicious fried eggplants with garlic were consumed.
- Did a “foundry in a box” worksession with Manufactura Independente – resulting, among many prospective ideas, in a proportional version of Inconsolata (in the Day4 folder here: <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/debr1idr7bza7gl/mS6Nmzcw2b>).
## Random ideas:
- Idea for Floss Manuals FR: do a manual on “running an art collective”.
- Idea from Femke: “How to run an LGM” — do a “methodology and guidelines” writing sprint.
## Stuff to follow up:
- Upcoming Libre Graphics Magazine with M.I.
- Foundry-In-A-Box project.
- Article by Pierre/OSP about their recent CSS-to-Print experiments, addressing the web standards community (ALAP & al.).
- Aymeric’s talk, “Sandbox Culture”, and the introduction talk of the “Books with an attitude” exhibition can be found here:<http://sound.constantvzw.org/LGRU/>.
- Btw, Aymeric’s previous talk on “Software Exile” is also there, in the file friday-28-sept-1.ogg in the <http://sound.constantvzw.org/LGRU/abstracting-craft/> folder. Live notes are in <http://lgru.pad.constantvzw.org:8000/104>
- where is part 1 of the trilogy (on “open design”)? :-0
## Links & Pads:
Wednesday 22 May
Friday 24 May
Saturday 25 May
Two parallel worksessions with Manufactura Independente, OSP, Greyscale Press, FLOSS-manuals: Translation sprint (Translating the FontForge FLOSS-manual into Portuguese) + Foundry-in-a-box brainstorm
Books with an attitude:
## The LGRU Reader:
The print version should come later this year, designed by Steph and Alex, published by b42. The online version is here:
Some non-free texts can be read only when logging in:
## Some follow-ups:
- Inspired by the discussion that followed Danja Vasiliev’s “SuperGlue” presentation, I compiled a list of recent distributed / offline / peer2peer / unhosted (post)(networked)art projects & hacks: <http://ms-studio.net/?p=3016> – you’re welcome to consolidate that movement by writing some serious theory about it, or maybe a manifesto.
- A recent LGM follow-up: with Ale Rimoldi, we did a Libre Graphics worksession at Dock18/Zurich last friday, where USB-keys filled with LGM-videos and libre fonts were distributed (and maps of european FLOSS and libre type classification were drafted into alpha status).
Good night & till soon,